Dear UVMers,

TOMORROW, February 5th, the University Board of Trustees will convene alongside various members of the University community for the first meeting of 2010.   This meeting will focus on various issues concerning the undergraduate student body – all of which will have a direct influence on you and your years to come at UVM.  Below, I have highlighted some of the major topics of conversation that your SGA is looking forward to discussing during this meeting, in addition to several resources that will prove helpful if you are interested in learning more!

The Board of Trustees meeting will begin tomorrow morning at 8:00am in the Silver Maple Ballroom of the Davis Center.  The agenda will begin with various reports from the University governance and advisory boards, including a brief report from your SGA.  We are prepared to address the Board with not only recent updates on the activities of your SGA, but also on the recent changes made to the academic calendar for 2010-2016, the increasing student demand for a sustainability requirement within the curriculum, the newly formed Neighborhood Noise Task Force, and a special highlight on student opinion regarding the decommissioning of Vermont Yankee.

In addition to our report, SGA student representatives are looking forward to discuss the following:
I encourage you to attend this meeting if any of these issues interest you.  For more information on the additional agenda items of tomorrow’s meeting, visit the link below and click on the Meeting Materials link found under the February 5-6, 2010 Meeting Schedule: http://www.uvm.edu/~trustees/?Page=board_mtgs/meetings/all_mtgs.html

As always, we are eager to hear your feedback on these issues and more!

Best,

Kate Ash
Vice President
-------
Important Announcement

Next week your SGA will be co-hosting a budget forum with Vice President Richard Cate to discuss the upcoming proposals for the meeting the University General Fund budget deficit.  This student forum will include a presentation on the ins and outs of the University budget and what you as a student should know for the next several weeks of important discussion and debate.

University Vice Presidents, College Deans, and student representatives of the SGA have been active in the recent discussions about the proposed budget deficit, and we are eager to invite any and all members of the University community to join us in this forum to voice your opinions and priorities for meeting this budget gap.  This event will be held Wednesday, February 10th from 3-4pm in the Livak Ballroom of the Davis Center.  Snacks and drinks will be provided, and we look forward to seeing you!  We also invite any questions or concerns that you may have to be emailed to the SGA at [log in to unmask] in order to address them at the forum.

Your SGA is sponsoring a Haitian coffee sale this week and the next.  SGA Senators will be tabling outside of Bailey-Howe Library TOMORROW, Friday, 2/6 from 8-11am, and then in the Davis Center next week every morning from 8-11am!  Both whole bean and ground coffee has been provided by a Massachusetts company who works directly with Haitian coffee producers – so please stop by and make a donation towards the Haitian recovery efforts when thinking about where to get your next cup of joe.

The academic calendar has been revised until 2016, check it out at http://www.uvm.edu/~rgweb/?Page=importantdates/i_academiccalendars.html&SM=i_menu.html .

--------
From the SGA President's Email This Week:

We are currently experiencing a few technical difficulties with the website, but the information should be available on Friday.  We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

- Alphi Phi Omega Rush Week, Feb. 1-7th
- Winter Activities Week, Feb. 8-11th
- Relay for Life Kickoff Event, Feb. 10th
- Black Student Union Auditions for Love Has No Color, Feb. 16th
- Black Student Union Ebony Fashion Show, Feb. 26th
- United Academics Student Scholarship & Financial Awards Now Available
- CPR and First Aid Classes Schedule for Students
- SGA and Vice President Cate Co-host a budget forum, Feb. 10th

For more information on these items please visit http://www.uvm.edu/sga/?Page=campuswide/default.html

--------
SGA Matters

At Tuesday’s meeting, eleven new Senators were sworn into the SGA!  You will soon be able to visit the SGA website and learn all about them and their projects to come.  We had a great voting turnout, so thank you to all of those who visited The Lynx to vote!  The newly elected senators are....

Dmitri Linde, On Campus: 1st yr
Whitney O’Brien, On Campus: 1st yr
Cayla Tepper, On Campus: Sophomore
Amanda Adams, Off Campus: Jr.
Daniel Filstein, Off Campus: Jr.
Maggie Thomsen, Off Campus: Jr.
Stephanie Cesario, On Campus: Jr.
Andee Brendalen, On Campus: 1st yr
Jesse Simmons, Off Campus: Jr.
Gisele Nelson, Off Campus: Jr.
Haley Wilich, Off Campus: Sophomore

The SGA Student Activities Committee is hosting Winter Activities Week, a fun event where clubs take over the Davis Center!  For students and club leaders looking to network and get involved, this event is a wonderful way to meet other club members, recruit, and fundraise. Each day will be for a specific group of clubs, so be sure to stop by the Davis Center and check them out!

Next SGA Meeting
Tuesday, February 9 at 7:00PM in the Livak Ballroom of the Davis Center

For more information and resources visit www.uvm.edu/sga

--
Kate Ash
Vice President