Fellow UVMers,

It is my pleasure to inform you that your SGA advocated loud and clear for you at last week’s Board of Trustees meeting.  The SGA Executive Committee came together and developed a strong message communicating the concern for our undergraduate academic experience here at UVM.  Vice President Kate Ash executed the well-thought and powerful oral report instead of me, as I was dealing with health issues, and pushed for a re-evaluation of our financial model.  Here are a few quotes from Vice President Ash’s report to give you a snapshot of her communication:
We will continue to communicate all updates we hear as a result of this past meeting.  There will be a Budget Forum this Wednesday, February 10th from 3-4pm in the Livak Ballroom in which Vice President for Finance Richard Cate will be presenting on the UVM Budget.  This information will be very important for students to hear as we approach the final conversations on the FY2011 budget proposal.

Switching gears, your SGA is hosting a Benefit Dance for Haiti this Thursday, February 11th! It will be from 9:30PM to 2am in Billings North Lounge and there will be two DJ’s performing—Vasilis Varsakopoulos and Count Blattula.  All you need to do is bring your friends and $5 dollars for admission as all the proceeds will be sent to Partners in Health.  The dance is going to be awesome and it’s a great way to kick of the Valentine’s weekend!

I will end here for this week, but as we progress deeper into the spring semester, make sure you keep in touch with some of the larger university initiatives that are occurring like the Spires of Excellence (the Faculty Senate is voting tonight on all 8 proposals), and the General Education discussion.  Here are a couple resources to glance over http://www.uvm.edu/provost/generaleducation/ and http://www.uvm.edu/~ovpr/?Page=workinggroups/charge.php.

Best,
Bryce
-------
From the SGA President’s Email This Week:

Black History Month Events
Student Research Conference Workshop—Tues., Feb. 9th
UVM Budget Forum—Wed., Feb. 10th
Relay for Life Kick Off Event—Wed., Feb. 10th
CPR & First Aid Classes
Social Justice Scholarships
Good News! The U.S. Census Bureau is Recruiting Workers
This Week in Vermont Athletics

For information about these events please visit http://www.uvm.edu/sga/?Page=campuswide/default.html.
--------
SGA Matters:

Haiti Dance
When: Thursday Night, February 11th
Time: 9pm-2am
Where:  Billings North Lounge
Why: To raise money for Haiti

Haiti Coffee for Sale in Davis Center
We are selling Haitian coffee in the Davis Center all week during the mornings.  All revenue is going directly to Haitian coffee farmers and we are asking for $2 donations.  So start the day off on a different foot with a cup of Haitian coffee!!

Winter Activities Week

WAW is a fun event where clubs take over the Davis Center.  SGA has already reserved tables all over the building and clubs that sign up will be given a table to use.  It is a wonderful way to network with other clubs, recruit, and fundraise. Each day will be for a specific group of clubs.

• Monday Feb. 8th: Club Sports
• Tuesday Feb 9th: Educational Clubs
• Wednesday Feb 10th: Media & Political Clubs
• Thursday Feb 11th: Cultural and Outdoor Recreation Clubs

If you have a question about which group your club belongs to you can check on the Student Activities Committee page on the SGA website at http://www.uvm.edu/sga/?Page=committees/studentactivities.html&SM=c_menu.html.

Next SGA Meeting
Tuesday, February 9th in the Livak Ballroom on the 4th Floor of the Davis Center

Public Forum
-The Water Tower
-Members of the Burlington City Council

Old Business
Resolution Supporting Student Neighborhood Initiative, sponsored by the COLA Committee.

New Business
Resolution Supporting the Decommissioning of Vermont Yankee, sponsored by Chair Maciewicz.

For more information on the SGA visit www.uvm.edu/sga.

--
Bryce Jones
President