 I think I was the last birder to leave this afternoon about 3 P.M. When I arrived about 2:30 P.M. Craig Provost had spotted the gull at the edge of the ice on the south side of the Causeway and gave me a look. The bird then moved to a spot next to the ice shanties and was clearly picking up scraps of food-probably discarded fish or bait. When I left the gull had relocated to the north side of the causeway and was standing alone at the edge of the ice about 20 yards from the parking area. Thus, if you go, check the edges of the ice first on both sides of the causeway, then look in the area of the shanties both on the ice and in the air. Or simply ask another birder as I did.

This is one great bird. Thanks to David Hoag for passing this information along to the VTBird list, Jim Mead for calling me about it this morning, Craig for pointing the gull out to me this afternoon, and Henry Trombley for posting some great photos of this rare (and endangered) visitor.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington