Vortex makes super great quality scopes, for (relatively) cheap.  I just purchased a dis-continued model, the Votrex Skyline 80mm with a zoom from 20-60x.

I've somepared it to Leica and Nikon and Swarovski, and it actualyy hold up.  Not to mentioned all Vortex products come with a UNLIMITED LIFETIME warrentty.  My tripos cost me about $150, so everything together was about $600.  Still over you bugdet... but if you go higher up you won't find anything under a drand.  Unless it is a crap model rom a crap brand.

I would go to your lol Audubon/Wild Bird shop and they usualy help out A LOT.  The Fat Rocin in Hamden, CT (obviously a long drive) would be worth t.  The owner, Jim Zipp, is an amazing, and published, photographer and avid birder.  He set me in the riht direction..

I'd find a store like that. But as far as quality for less money, a Vortex is the way to go.   My model is discontinued, but came probablybe fund online.   But vortex just came out with the Skyline II (or some name like tha) with a few nice new features.

Good luck!!  And make sure you put a lot of planning into purchasig a scope.  Panning, veritcal and horizontal ease of turning, focus knobs, retractable lens-shields.

Once you get a scope, you wonder how you ever had a birding life/experience/situations without one!!

(PS.... Good luck on the NOHO and Ivory, Alex!!!)

-Brian Webster-

Stratford, CT

http://thebirdmojo.blogspot.com/

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/