I do this later in the spring for the breeding birds, but have read that you should bake the shells  to kill any chicken bacteria, so I pop them into the toaster oven on low temp for about 5 minutes before I put them out.

Marcia in Brownsville

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Manship <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, Feb 27, 2010 9:01 am
Subject: [VTBIRD] Good Bird feeder tip

I found this on the NH birds list and tried it out this morning after breakfast,
It worked. a very nice feeder tip. Here is what the woman had to say:
"Blue jays love to eat egg shells in the winter.I just crumble them and throw
hem on the ground and the war begins.Apparently it's a source of calcium for
hem. B  Judy Flanders,Henniker "
Anyone have other feeder tip/experence to share?
Good birding
eter Manship