In addition to filling our various feeders, we find it effective to throw a few
handfuls of mixed feed (black oil, millet, cracked corn, nut pieces) under our
foundation plantings. We have a number of yews around the house, all with
good window views of the ground beneath. The branches keep the ground
mostly free of snow, and the birds seem to enjoy the shelter and probable
protection from predators such as Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks.
Many of then will take a seed and then "hop" up onto a branch to open it.