Conditions are variable across Idaho. Mountain ranges that got big snowfalls
in late December have better stability because the weak base was bridged
over by 4-5 feet of snow. Fortunately, the range near where I live got hit
by two big late December storms, and since then temperatures have been mild
(4th warmest January on record) with only a few modest snowfalls, perfect
for stabilizing the snowpack. But if you go 100 miles to the east, to ranges
that didn't get the December snowfalls, the weak base is overlain by a slab
that is only 1-2 feet thick. I've heard skiers there have accepted they
won't be skiing slopes steeper than 30 degrees for the entire winter. Bummer
for them, but sometimes challenging conditions are good because they force
you to search out safer (different) terrain.

Jim