I've never spent more than $20 for a brand new, still-in-the-wrapper pair of
skis. Or was it $10? I'll admit that I did once drop almost $300 for AT
boots and bindings, but that was before they were widespread in the USofA as
they are today. The last pair of poles I purchased cost $5 or $2. Bindings?
Come with the skis. I still ski a pair of Salomon 957 Equipes (black,
yellow, orange). For regular ski equipment (ie, skis, boots, bindings,
poles), I think money is best spent on boots.

caveat lector