Conditions are variable across Idaho. Mountain ranges that got big snowfalls in late December have better stability because the weak base was bridged over by 4-5 feet of snow. Fortunately, the range near where I live got hit by two big late December storms, and since then temperatures have been mild (4th warmest January on record) with only a few modest snowfalls, perfect for stabilizing the snowpack. But if you go 100 miles to the east, to ranges that didn't get the December snowfalls, the weak base is overlain by a slab that is only 1-2 feet thick. I've heard skiers there have accepted they won't be skiing slopes steeper than 30 degrees for the entire winter. Bummer for them, but sometimes challenging conditions are good because they force you to search out safer (different) terrain.

Jim