I've never spent more than $20 for a brand new, still-in-the-wrapper pair of skis. Or was it $10? I'll admit that I did once drop almost $300 for AT boots and bindings, but that was before they were widespread in the USofA as they are today. The last pair of poles I purchased cost $5 or $2. Bindings? Come with the skis. I still ski a pair of Salomon 957 Equipes (black, yellow, orange). For regular ski equipment (ie, skis, boots, bindings, poles), I think money is best spent on boots.

caveat lector