Here's some additional tactics worth trying if the problem (which seems
somewhat suspicious) is still occurring:

(A) Check all the event logs to see if there's any information pointing to
the change in account status. If they aren't set to log in fine details,
change that so you'll see the most information about events.

(B) Without announcing it publicly, set up an account with exactly the same
privileges (you can make a copy of the all-purpose account via Active
Directory Users and Computers). Does it suffer the same fate as the
universal account plagued with the issue?

(C) In Active Directory Users and Computers, check the properties for the
universal user account. Make sure it's limited enough that all the users can
do is what they're supposed to do. Especially check as was suggested by
David Curtis that the box is checked to prevent that user from changing the
password. It also might be good to deny that account privileges to log in at
the server console.

(D) Change all the other account passwords. If the all-purpose user account
is being sabotaged, it might be by the use of different login credentials.
In fact, make sure someone hasn't created an additional account for that
purpose.

(E) If possible, physically secure the server so that it can't be accessed
or tampered with.

(F) You didn't say whether your network is set up as a workgroup or a
domain, but there are lots of security advantages to operating a domain. For
one thing, each user can have a secure folder for saving documents. For
another, it's much easier to keep track of who's using what. Both might
forestall recurrences of this issue.

(G) Depending on how your network gets used, you might NOT want to turn off
the browser service on the server. I'd check to be sure that service is
running.  If it's not, that might cause various workstations to wrestle with
each other for the status of master browser. There's a registry setting to
make sure that a workstation can not assume the master browser role--might
be worth it if that's the issue.

(H) Unless it's truly essential, make sure that no one can access the server
via Remote Desktop.

Chip Hedler