We added Accidental Damage protection (5 yr.) to the HP laptops we bought
last year, at roughly $100 per machine (I think). We have done this in the
past and collect about once a year for 40ish laptops.

I WISH Apple offered something like this: we recently learned that ANY
liquid spill on a MacBook potentially voids any warranty (even if the
machine is fine afterwards), and they have liquid sensors inside!

on 3/18/10 8:17 AM, Robert Gervais wrote:

> Hello,
> One of our schools has purchased Dell netbooks without the accidental
> insurance option.  Online Dell shows that you can purchase this insurance as
> part of the configuration for $49/3 years (unless I misread that), but the
> best quote our sales person has give us after the fact is $161/3 years...not
> worth it according to administration, for a $360 computer.  I have done a
> single computer quote at Safeware.com at $130/3years and we will probably get
> a quote for all machines (around 140 total).  We've also explored "self
> insuring" by purchasing extra computers with funds generated by offering
> parents/guardians the option for insurance for a nominal fee ($50-75).
> I'm curious, actually our administrators are very curious, about what other
> schools are doing for insurance...if computers are going home with students.
> Appreciate any feedback!
>
> Rob Gervais
> Technology Coordinator
> Franklin Northeast Supervisory Union
> Enosburg, VT 05450
> 802-933-2171 x33

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.