Steve,

Again, I don't see any reference to a consumer needing a certificate of
any kind to take advantage of this free disposal.  I do not see any
mention of any age limit on equipment such as your informant claimed is
there.  I believe that person misread the bill as passed; I suspect he (or
she)failed to read the "Definitions" section of the bill where the
following is found:

(14) “Recycler” means a person who accepts covered electronic devices
from covered entities and collectors for the purpose of recycling.

I further suspect that the failure to understand that definition caused
this person to misinterpret the following section where "registration" is
required of a "recycler" and that registration will be "valid for a period
not to exceed five years."

§ 7305. RECYCLER PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY
(a)(1) Recycler registration. No person may recycle a covered electronic
device unless that person has submitted a registration with the delegated
solid
waste district on a form prescribed by the district. A registration is
effective
upon receipt by the delegated solid waste district and is valid for a
period not
to exceed five years.

In other words, the person "who read the fine print of the bill" didn't
read it very well; the "recycler" is required to register, but the
"recycler" is not the consumer.

So, yeah, the manufacturers may choose to stick the consumer with the cost
up front (maybe $5), but the point is that the consumer will not be faced
with a fee at disposal time, so will have less incentive to dump his old
computer in the woods. Nor will this bill, for the consumer, "add
administrative work to the process to actually make use of the benefit".

-Vince