This cell phone hoax list includes in number 10,
___________
* You get a message warning you that cell phone companies will soon be
releasing all mobile numbers to telemarketers and that to avoid them you
must add your number to the "do not call" registry.

Sometimes, this is just a bit of mischief; other times they ask you to
call a bogus number for which you will be charged an excessive fee.

Fact is, cell phone numbers are not publicly available for marketing in
this way.
___________

This very message was sent out as an urgent notice to our entire
district staff by a person in our business office who handles our phone
system.  When I told her it was a hoax, it seemed she didn't believe me,
saying that she got the message from her contact at Verizon!  This was
even after I showed her on the Federal Do Not Call List website a
warning about this very hoax.  The number this particular number warned
you against calling was the official number that adds a number to the
DNC list.  (As an aside, there is no harm in adding a cell phone number
to the DNC list, it's just not really necessary.)

Steve Barner
South Burlington High School