what about a student using a parent's account to show a movie in class (for
academic reasons, not for entertainment).

yes we have the performance license or whatever it is called.

I just called their customer support.   There is no problem with schools
purchasing an account or a teacher using their personal account.

Taken from netflix terms of use: http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#accept

 "for your personal and non-commercial use":   I would put a school setting
under non-commercial use