Once we have the district fully wireless which is right around the corner, we'll be using iPod touch devices and iWalkthrough <http://www.iwalkthrough.org/>.

Bryan

Bryan Thompson
Technology Coordinator
Winooski School District
Winooski, VT 05404
802-655-2555

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Ed Barry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Once again, Rob Gervais asked that I post this...

I'm wondering what schools/districts are using to assist with teacher
observations by administrators?
In FNESU we have been exploring Eduphoria Appraise and iObservation.
 Principals are looking for something that will be crossplatform and
readily available for use on mobile devices; iphone/ipod touch/palm/etc.
 Right now they are leaning towards iObservation b/c there is loads of
content & video pre-loaded to assist with observations and teacher
development, developed by Marzano, and seems to be more of a "system" of
evaluation, rather than just a tool.  Appraise seems to be more of an open
system that you populate with your own observation standards/methods.
iObservation is, not surprisingly, more expensive.
My big concern is that neither company has really addressed the technical
questions I've asked with anything more than "very easy" or "minimal tech
setup/involvement" type responses!  I want to know how compatible these
systems are, what kind of support they provide, what kind of setup is
required at the system and end user levels, any gotchas...typical stuff.
Is anyone currently using either of these evaluation systems, or is there
another company we should explore?
Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Ed Barry
Director of Information Technology Services
Milton Town School District
42 Herrick Avenue
Milton, VT  05468
(802)893-3210  FAX 893-3227