OK,  It was suggested I post my 1:1 laptop questions here but I realize they are not the type of quick answers you can solve in one or 2 sentences.  Anyway, if you have any ideas, let me know either on or off list.

How do you make a financially sustainable 1:1 laptop program?

What methods of integration/professional development work the best for teachers using 1:1?

How is the best way to deal with students who accidentally or otherwise do not respect the equipment if laptop use is mandatory in class?  ("No, I didn't drop it, I don't know how the screen and case got cracked")  Has anyone tried the permanently "on" laptop cases?

Is anyone offering a student laptop purchase program for laptops similar to how colleges do?  I am thinking that if a family is considering buying their student a laptop anyway, why not get one that works at school?

Jean

>>> Robert Gervais <[log in to unmask]> 3/18/2010 8:17 AM >>>
Hello,
One of our schools has purchased Dell netbooks without the accidental insurance option.  Online Dell shows that you can purchase this insurance as part of the configuration for $49/3 years (unless I misread that), but the best quote our sales person has give us after the fact is $161/3 years...not worth it according to administration, for a $360 computer.  I have done a single computer quote at Safeware.com at $130/3years and we will probably get a quote for all machines (around 140 total).  We've also explored "self insuring" by purchasing extra computers with funds generated by offering parents/guardians the option for insurance for a nominal fee ($50-75).
I'm curious, actually our administrators are very curious, about what other schools are doing for insurance...if computers are going home with students.
Appreciate any feedback!

Rob Gervais
Technology Coordinator
Franklin Northeast Supervisory Union