*Fellow UVMers,*

Happy St. Patrick’s Day and congratulations to the men and women basketball
teams for their great success! In light of their victory, this Friday is
going to be a spirit day on campus and everyone should wear green and gold
to show our pride!

Switching gears, the SGA is working on creating a student vision and we want
students who are interested to participate.  President Fogel has his 10 Year
Vision <http://www.uvm.edu/president/?Page=10-year_vision.html>, the Faculty
Senate <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Efacsen/> gets to weigh in on all academic
affairs, but where are student concerns being represented? Are there certain
policies, from UVM's decision to become a dry campus, to the size of certain
administrator's salaries <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eisis/?Page=bpay0.html>, that
make you wonder if students are even considered in the decision making
process? Part of the reason for this is because student opinion can be very
dynamic and difficult to gauge. Sometimes focus groups will be formed,
surveys sent to students, or presentations given to the Student Government
Association, but rarely do these measures uncover an accurate version of
student opinion.

To make up for this, the Student Government Association, various campus
clubs, and many concerned students are writing a "UVM Student Vision" that
will give trustees, administrators, faculty members, and staff members an
encyclopedia of student concerns on a variety of topics and what we would
like to see changed. In order for this to be a success, we need students
from all over campus to contribute ideas. This process is already underway
and interested students should to contact
[log in to unmask] Below is a framework for the
project.

*Campus Life *
• Physical Landscape and Buildings
• How we eat (Dining Services)
• How we dwell (Reslife), and off-campus housing.
• Social Life
• Student Representation:  -How is student opinion gathered?      Who
represents the students?        On what issues should students have
decision-making power?
• Non-classroom academics
• Transportation: infrastructure, bus route effectiveness

*Community*
• Diversity: How do we define it?
• What are our values
• Our Place: In Burlington, in Vermont, in the US, in the World, how does
this relate to the environment -How and to whom do we compare ourselves
• Relations with Businesses (i.e. investments, contracts….)
• Work Opportunities: Jobs/ Community Service / Service learning./
Work-study
• Access for Vermonters
• Treatment of workers: staff

*Academics*
• What do we look for in the classroom
• Faculty issues: -How we how hire/ evaluate/ advance (tenure) professors
-How do we define quality in faculty members? How much importance to we
place on have prestigious faculty? Are they receiving teaching
training/instruction –How do we value research, undergraduate access to
research –Responsive Feedback –Advising
• Class registration: priority registration, amount of information on
courses provided during registration periods.
• Academic Support: library, Academic Support Program, study areas
• General Education Requirement.

If you want to be involved, please email [log in to unmask] with the
specific section that you want to work on.  Time is limited for the
completion of this project so it is moving ahead quickly, so contact the
group as soon as possible if you can.

Thanks and hope you had a great day in the sun today!

Best,

Bryce
--------
*From the SGA President's e-mail this week:*

   - Gubernatorial Forum for the Democratic Candidates, March 23rd
   - Volunteer to be a ‘fun facilitator’ for Burlington’s 8th Annual
   EGGSTRAVAGANZA
   - A Conversation with Thomas Macias:  Environment, Development, and
   Justice—Thursday, April 1st
   - Black History Month: Love Has No Color - Friday, April 16th
   - Financial Award for Student who works for Economic and Social Justice,
   April 1st
   - Computer Depot Clinic in the Computer Depot
   - Good news! The U.S. Census Bureau is Recruiting Workers
   - This Week in Vermont Athletics
   - Summer U March Madness, March 18th
      - Summer U celebrates March Madness too…Thursday, March 18th from 11am
      – 2pm! Stop by our table in the DC Atrium to learn about Summer course
      offerings and how to save 15% on summer ’10 tuition. No time to stop by?
      Visit us at: uvm.edu/summer
   - Current and Admitted Students Study Abroad Info Sesh, March 19th
      - Thinking about studying abroad? Need help finding the right program?
      Friday, March 19th from 11am – 2pm UVM Continuing Education will
be in the
      Davis Center Atrium to answer your questions! Stop in and start planning!
      Current and admitted students welcome.

For information on these events please visit
http://www.uvm.edu/sga/?Page=campuswide/default.html

Also, for an extended list of events occurring through the week you can also
visit http://www.uvm.edu/~bored/ <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ebored/>.
-------
*SGA Matters:*

*Elections Information for both the P/VP and Senate Seats! *

*Remaining events for Presidential and Vice Presidential Elections—2010-11:*

To be able to view the platforms of the candidates for both of the positions
please visit http://www.uvm.edu/sga/?Page=campuswide/default.html

*A.  SGA Presidential Debate*

Do you want to have a say in what goes on at your university? Do you like to
see people argue? Are you looking to be a little more informed about your
school? Then stop by the *SGA Presidential Debates* where candidates Claire
Chevrier and Kofi Mensah will be debating! The debates, co-hosted by SGA and
*The Vermont Cynic*, will be held this *Thursday, March 18th at 7:00pm in
Waterman Memorial Lounge.* The debate will be moderator by UVM's own
world-recognized debate coach, Alfred "Tuna" Snider. Panelists will include
leaders from Clubs, Club Sports, ALANA, Greek Life, and IRA.

For questions or accommodations please email [log in to unmask] or

*B.  Voting Instructions for P/VP*

Voting will be taking place on the Lynx again.  We are currently finalizing
a few more details and I will provide you with detailed instructions on how
and where to vote early next week.

***For students who have not visited the Lynx yet or logged in before, you
will need to activate your account before voting.  This can be done by
visiting http://www.uvm.edu/clubs and enter your UVM Net ID and password
into the log-in box on the homepage.  It will automatically send you to the
account set-up page if you are a first time visitor to the Lynx.  After
completing this step, you will then be prepared to vote next week.

*C.  Senate Election Timeline—2010-11*

   - *Monday, March 15th*, 9:00am: Elections packets are available in the
   SGA office (3rd floor of the Davis Center). As soon as you sign out your
   packet you officially become a “candidate.”
   - *Wednesday, March 24th,* 7:00pm: Mandatory elections meeting in the
   Sugar Maple Ballroom. Please email Katie Rifken ([log in to unmask]) if you
   cannot make the meeting.
   - *Friday, March 26th*, 4:00pm: Packets are due in the SGA office. You
   can turn in your packet at any point before this time. As soon as you turn
   in your packet, you officially become “on the ballot” for the election.
   - *Thursday and Friday*, April 1-2, 8:00am-4:00pm: Elections! Voting will
   take place on the Lynx (www.uvm.edu/clubs).
   - *Monday, April 5th* 4:00pm: Please remove all campaign materials by the
   end of the day Friday. Receipts are due back in the SGA office by 4pm.
   - *Tuesday, April 13th* 7:00pm: Senate-elect is sworn in!

*
Next SGA Meeting:*

   - Tuesday, March 23th at 7:00PM in the Livak Ballroom on the 4th Floor of
   the Davis Center.  As a reminder, our meetings are open to students and I
   invite any who would like to speak to the SGA during public forum which
   occurs at the beginning.

*Old Business Passed at 3/16 meeting:*

   - *Bill Recognizing the UVM Baseball Club*, sponsored by Chair Claire
   Chevrier
   - *Bill Derecognizing the Council for Unity*, sponsored by Chair Claire
   Chevrier
   - *Resolution Supporting the Creation of a Sustainability Education
   Requirement at UVM*, sponsored by Senator Mikayla McDonald

--
Bryce Jones
President

Dudley H. Davis Center