I am looking at ways to wash root crops so as to be more efficient at washing root crops, carrots, parsnips, beets, some potatoes, some celeriac.  The best way to date has been washing in tulip crates in a sink with a garden hose spray, but that is getting old as the quantities become larger.

I am looking at barrel washers and drum washers, like the Willsie 26" drum washer, or maybe the smaller batch washer.

What have others used to wash root crops, and what experiance have you had with mechanization, like a Willsie or barrel washer?  Wash rates?  Minimum qty to make it worth while?

My batch size is in the 200 to 600 pounds range in general.

There is a good article in the recent "Growing for Market".

Steve

Blue Ox Farm
842 Shaker Hill Rd
Enfield, NH  03748