On Feb 28, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Scott Braaten wrote:

> I would have to assume the stake average is
> rising thanks to the past 10 years of deep snow up there

Well, yes, it is, consistent with an increase in orecipitation -- but so is the average low temperature.

I presented a poster on this very subject at the 2009 Vermont Monitoring Cooperative (VMC) meetings last October:

http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/archives/Mansfield%202009.pdf

"The results present strong evidence that while daytime temperatures on Mount Mansfield have remained consistent over the last half century, night time temperatures, precipitation, and summit snow depth are all on the rise. However, snow depth is not increasing as quickly as precipitation. This may suggest that the rising temperatures will spell more rain rather than snow events in coming years."

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 407 Lafayette Building      / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-???-????  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |