Yeah. Didn't they say the top layer is about 2 feet? Seems thin enough that it won't bridge over.

Whole slide = "shallow, rocky area"!

On 2010-03-09 2:20 PM, Greg Petrics wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Based on that video, the depth of the new snow on Angel Slide right now is incredible. It amazes me that the snow has accumulated in a way that it is just strong enough to support itself and not cause a natural avalanche, yet it is also brittle enough that additional loads are somewhat likely to result in failures.

Just thinking out loud after that video, my suspicion would be that NW facing slopes would be significantly better than NE facing slopes simply because the afternoon sun is warmer and can bake more of that energy out than the morning sun. But of course that theory would need extensive testing before it is applied.

As we discovered in our trifecta trip ( http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/trip-reports/09-10/a-trifecta/ ), south facing slopes in the Dacks (New York was actually New York) were nearly isothermal with little faceting (sorry we didn't make a youtube video of the analysis), and the main hazard would have been a terminal slide to rock.... which we considered unlikely given the pitch and lack of percolating liquid water that day.

The 'Dacks are providing some very interesting and extremely variable avalanche conditions at the moment, and after this weekend I bet alot of it will be erased. Anyone taking a class right now in the Dacks will really learn a tremendous amount.