On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:08:45 -0800, Mark P. Renson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Had some ground moose for dinner courtesy of a cah strike on Route 16 which
>was finished off with a slug from a shotgun per permission from fish and game.

As much as I dislike commenting on the peripheral aspects of Mark’s TRs, that
part really cracked me up.
A few conditions notes for the past few days (sorry, no pics – I use my camera
only for baby shoots these days):

- Thursday, drove up in preparation to teach at the NSP/AMC avy course, so
after not getting started until almost 1:00, first went up the TRT & Triple Right
Gully to the Alpine Garden, and dropped 1200' vert into Raymond Cataract
down to just above the, well, Cataract.  The Ray part was pretty rough
(hugely wind eroded), but the mond part had some decent snow (although
would have been better earlier with some sun directly on it).  Skinned back up
to the summit, then came down a very nice packed powder Otto onto the NE
Snowfield’s wind slab (which felt good by contrast after a brief stretch of some
eroded snow so chattery that one of my knee pads vibrated right off my knee
down to my boot top).  The very tippy top of TRG was okay b/c it only
recently had gone into shadow, but after that it was firm all the way to the
AMC dinner (which although not freshly killed moose, was still pretty good after
all the Gu).

- Friday skinned up GoST then up to almost the tippy top of the most
prominent Finger (i.e., immediately to skinner’s right of #3).  I was too early for
optimum snow quality, but it was already decent.  Continued back down GoST
a ways then up and across and down and more across Graham to Sherburne,
skins back on again and up to the crux of TRG to rejoin my boot pack of the
prior day (which had only partly erased by some guy skiing it just before
sunset).  Braced myself at the Alpine Garden for the typical wind tunnel but . .
. perfect calm and warm temps.  Continued that way all the way to the
summit.  Skiing off the summit cone and NESF would have been perfect but for
the extremely flat light, almost vertigo inducing, and requiring skiing next to the
rocks for contrast.  Decided on Lobster Claw: excellent condition, and could
even start off on a decent portion on the kind of rib in between it and TRG.
Would have loved to take more laps in the absolutely perfect conditions, but
had to hustle down to meet up with my fellow avy instructors for AMC lunch
(which once again was not freshly killed moose, but still pretty good after all
the Gu).

- Saturday, the AMC breakfast (pancakes – much better than moose at that
hour) started at 6:30, and the avy course started at 8:00.  Thought about
skipping the AMC breakfast (I’d brought lots of Gu...), but the skiing wasn’t
going to be worth a true dawn patrol anyway given the overnight refreeze.  So
I just went up to the Little Headwall, which in a few places was already almost
(yet definitely not yet) good.  Was getting ready for my beacon presentation
when AMC staff handed me a note: “wife not feeling well, please call her.”
Ooops - so much for teaching patrollers how to find buried people, and time
instead to help Andrea change diapers and other such activities.  (Fortunately
Micayla is already making great contributions to avalanche safety education:
http://www.wildsnow.com/2605/pieps-review . . . although I’m not quite sure
what Mark is doing in that picture.)  Delivered the presentation (with uxorial
permission) then drove back to Western Mass.  What a contrast between a
warm, sunny, dry climate vs cold, overcast, precip - except this time it was
the reverse of the usual contrast!

- Sunday is the big field day for the course.  Looks like the weather might be
okay higher up, so sure hope it works out well for them.  The lead instructor
has a really clever idea for their introduction to treeline, so some decent vis will
help out too!