On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:17:21 -0600, Marc Chrusch
>Holy $hit.
>That should shatter some preconceived notions about audible warnings
>and the supposed safety of treed terrain. The size of the fracture
>crown is sobering.
>
>Glad you're all OK.

Whoa, scary. Glad you all are OK.
What aspect was that?
I'd wager that the depth hoar you saw was a lot thicker in the shadowed depths
of that gully. We had a similar situation early this year with buried surface hoar on
a crust layer, it grew a lot thicker in the bottom of bowls and gullies where colder
air settled.

Jerm