(Bryan: don't be so paranoid.  My reminders are usually less subtle than
this....)

To all:

Thanks for all the great advice.  Reseating everything uncovered 2
interesting facts:

(1) The Firewire adapter/card was loose on the machine which refused to do
anything.  Might have been contacting the video card directly above it and
causing weirdness.  Removing, cleaning and reinstalling RAM and other bits
made it all better.

(2) the SATA cable connecting the larger slave drive on the other computer
was a bit loose.  This computer would freeze at start up.  Removing and
reconnecting RAM and other things made it start up, but then the picture
would go blank and the monitor indicated "no signal."   Tom at Canaan school
suggested rebooting into VGA mode and then rolling back the video driver.  I
did, and now it works perfectly.

And yes, Bryan's help was invaluable.
(Happy now, you big baby?  [?])

Drew