It is cool what you find when you are not looking.

I know a lot of schools are looking to implement google apps, but want to
enable email for teachers, but disable it for students.   While this doesn't
seem to be an official supported way it certainly appears to work (tested
quickly).

For each user google allows you to disable email routing.   So for your
students (hopefully you don't have too many) you can uncheck Google Apps
Email, then any messages sent to that address will be returned
undeliverable.

Personally I think all students 3rd and up should have email, and we need to
teach them to use it properly, but I know that creating the policies to do
this can be a battle.

Bjorn Behrendt
IT Coordinator
Mount St. Joseph