We are using ncomputing here with mixed results.  For the most part it
works fine.  The biggest problem is the initial login for each student.
While the computer is creating the user's profile, only one login at a
time works.  If two new users try logging in at the same time, the
system locks up.   Once students have all created profiles on the
system, it seems to work fine.  Ncomputing had a few suggestions, but we
have never been able to resolve this problem.  We set these up on new
systems with dual processors and plenty of RAM, so that is not the
issue.  We do use folder redirection and a login script, but nothing too
drastic.

Older versions of Firefox did not work - it did not create separate
sessions.  But that appears to have been fixed with the latest updates.
Google Earth did not work on these, I haven't tried newer versions (from
about a year ago).  iTalc works on the x300 but not the x350 (any
network navigating freezes the whole system, such as saving to a network
share).

They work great for most other applications.  Word processing,
presentations, research... once a profile is created, we have run most
any program on them successfully (in testing we had streaming video,
PowerPoint, Word, Publisher, artrage, etc running on the different
stations all at the same time - and they all worked quite well.

I like the design of the X350 (I am sure all of their current models are
the same); they mount to the back of newer flat panel monitors.

All in all, if they are being used by a set group of students (so you
can have them all just take a turn logging in once), they work out
fine.  If they are in a location where many students will need to log
in, there seems to be more freezing issues.  And, if you frequently need
to change the default profile (thus wiping out all of the profiles saved
on the system), the process of one at a time sign-on starts all over.

smg

Sylvia Gagne

Computer Technician

Georgia Elementary & Middle School