We are using ncomputing here with mixed results.  For the most part it works fine.  The biggest problem is the initial login for each student.  While the computer is creating the user's profile, only one login at a time works.  If two new users try logging in at the same time, the system locks up.   Once students have all created profiles on the system, it seems to work fine.  Ncomputing had a few suggestions, but we have never been able to resolve this problem.  We set these up on new systems with dual processors and plenty of RAM, so that is not the issue.  We do use folder redirection and a login script, but nothing too drastic.

Older versions of Firefox did not work - it did not create separate sessions.  But that appears to have been fixed with the latest updates.  Google Earth did not work on these, I haven't tried newer versions (from about a year ago).  iTalc works on the x300 but not the x350 (any network navigating freezes the whole system, such as saving to a network share).

They work great for most other applications.  Word processing, presentations, research... once a profile is created, we have run most any program on them successfully (in testing we had streaming video, PowerPoint, Word, Publisher, artrage, etc running on the different stations all at the same time - and they all worked quite well.

I like the design of the X350 (I am sure all of their current models are the same); they mount to the back of newer flat panel monitors.

All in all, if they are being used by a set group of students (so you can have them all just take a turn logging in once), they work out fine.  If they are in a location where many students will need to log in, there seems to be more freezing issues.  And, if you frequently need to change the default profile (thus wiping out all of the profiles saved on the system), the process of one at a time sign-on starts all over.

smg

smg

Sylvia Gagne

Computer Technician

Georgia Elementary & Middle School

St. Albans, VT 05478

802.524.6358

Vincent Rossano wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Thin clients!

A thank you to the many who responded to my earlier query re netbooks; you've made me look at them in a more favorable light than I formerly had.  I guess the drop-off in chatter about them last fall was not due to a lack of interest, but more likely because you had all made your decisions and were running with them.

Something that dropped much earlier off the subject lines of messages on this list is the thin client phenomenon.  Are people still deploying thin client solutions?  Have netbooks - as an inexpensive way to get computing into the hands of students and staff - usurped some of the thin client territory?

-Vince