If possible, try using the re-installation disk and getting to a command prompt.  Then run chkdsk.  There are also some third party boot disks out there, such as http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

>>> Drew Blanchard  04/19/10 1:07 PM >>>
I have to support 11 Gateway Pentium D computers in my video lab, running XP
Pro with 2 GB of RAM.  Suddenly, 2 of the machines will not boot.
*Really  won't
boot, as in the DVD drive light briefly flashes at startup, but the hard
drive never spins up.  I don't even get the boot menu/bios screen.  I've
tried the basics, nothing seems to work.  I'm not a newbie, but this
mystifies me.  I wondered if was the CMOS battery; I pulled the battery and
 reset it, which allowed the computer to restart in safe mode, but at reboot
it went back to a blank screen.  Hardware isn't my specialty, but the fact I
can't even access the bios says I need some advice.  Help?  *

--
Drew Blanchard
Technology Teacher

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:
 This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.  It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.