For digital text (like Bookshare) we have had success with TexAloud, a
low-cost reader. ³High quality² digital voices can be purchased separately,
for a total cost under $50 per station. Not a bad solution for those who
cannot afford Kurzweil.

Eric

on 4/21/10 10:37 AM, Forman Maria wrote:

> We have a Platinum subscription through Audible.  I loan out ipods with books
> on them.  If you manage an iPod manually you can download the book on to a
> student's ipod.
> We also have a subscription to Recorded Books for the Blind and Dyslexic for
> individual students.  Students can get their own account at no cost. The
> downloads are not compatible with ipods.  I have found SansaClips to work the
> best.   You cannot get audio books from Bookshare, only books in a digital
> format.  You then have to use a text to read application like Kurzweil.  There
> are others less expensive applications available that do the same thing. You
> can then export to an MP3 format.  I only use Bookshare and RBFb&D when I
> can't get it from another source. RFB&D has textbooks- which is extremely
> useful.
>
> We also purchase Playaways (individual MP3 players with one book on them). The
> younger students love them.
>

> Maria Forman
> Twinfield Union School
> 106 Nasmith Brook Rd.
> Plainfield, VT  05667
> (802)426-3213 X222
>
> Confidentiality Notice
>
> The information contained in this communication,
> including any attachments, is confidential,
> constitutes privileged communication, and
> is intended only for the use of the addressee.
> The information in this e-mail is also protected
> by the rights afforded under Family Educational
> Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and school
> district policies.  Any unauthorized use, forwarding,
> distribution,disclosure, printing or copying is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
> this communication in error, please notify us immediately
> at [log in to unmask] or return e-mail, and delete
> any copies of this message immediately.

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.