The challenge is to make the VHS (analog) recording digital.  One way is
to get a video capture card like the Hauppauge USB-Live-2 or even a
TV-Tuner with RCA inputs, plug it into your computer and your VCR and
record your video to mpeg (h.264 for the win) in all its
grainy-goodness.  You can even use Windows Movie Maker to do it.

Then you can use open source tools like DVDFlick or DVDStyler to build
menus, copy, convert, and burn the movie to DVD.

Only drawback is the lower quality of VHS is pretty noticeable on the
computer and HD TVs.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support