Hey all..

This centralization on bulk purchasing has come up a few times.

"The centralization that would be beneficial would be in bulk purchasing power for equipment/netbooks, etc..."

It sounds great and it could be.. I think folks need to understand though, that that requires a half to full time person to undertake. You HAVE to have someone negotiating and answering phones when people call. It could be worked out to start small and build up.. But again, takes an organization to lead it. I get calls every week on a variety of software, equipment, etc. and it would be helpful to refer them to someone.  The policy here at the state is that we don't disseminate on behalf of vendors.  It is just too time consuming.

We have worked on this before with New England ISTE affiliate, NEISTE, and Vita Learn has considered it as well.  The key is really the commitment to someone that can be facilitating this. It is a good idea and one that I think holds some merit in discussing through some of our various non-profit entities. This is not something the state could do, but from my perspective, we could encourage and support an entity that could do it.   Vita-Learn is obviously one, and it keeps money in VT, perhaps the library organization, or even a consortia of school districts that could form their own coop. Again, it is finding personnel.

I would be willing to help start the conversation with any entity that is willing to take this on.  It could be beneficial.

I'll note that Ray did point out we do some of this via BGS at the state, but I think you all are looking for a bigger variety of options.

Anyways.. My two cents.. Talk with me at Dynamic Landscapes if you have some ideas.

Peter Drescher
Education Technology Coordinator
Vermont Department of Education
120 State St.