We had 12 dedicated birders who showed up in the rain this morning for the
Monthly Bird Monitoring Walk at Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge.  The
highlight was a large mixed flock of about 50 very noisy Rusty Blackbirds
and about 30 Red-winged Blackbirds, including males and females of both
species.  Also a first-of-year (for me) Winter Wren.  Below is the complete
list as reported on eBird.

After the walk, a few of us looked for the pair of Sandhill Cranes that had
been seen earlier in the week by refuge personnel across Tabor Road from the
headquarters building, but found only Mallards and Hooded Mergansers in the
flooded field.

--Ken Copenhaver

Location:     MNWR-Maquam/Black Creek
Observation date:     4/17/10
Notes:     Monthly MNWR Bird Monitoring Walk
Number of species:     31

Canada Goose     157     Flyovers, in groups of 2 to 44, mostly heading
south
Wood Duck     30     flyovers, in groups of 2 to 20
Mallard     6     flyovers
Great Blue Heron     2
Northern Harrier     1     flyover
Sharp-shinned Hawk     1     flyover
American Woodcock     1     flushed twice, probably same bird
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     2
Downy Woodpecker     3
Hairy Woodpecker     3
Northern Flicker     3     heard only
Pileated Woodpecker     2     heard only
Eastern Phoebe     2
Blue Jay     4     heard only
Tree Swallow     1
Black-capped Chickadee     9
Tufted Titmouse     2     heard only
White-breasted Nuthatch     4
Brown Creeper     1
Winter Wren     1     heard only
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
American Robin     7
European Starling     23
Song Sparrow     5     heard only
White-throated Sparrow     1     heard only
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)     2
Red-winged Blackbird     45
Rusty Blackbird     57     First saw one male, then 6 in a loose group;
later about 50 (both males and females) in a mixed flock with about 30
Red-winged Blackbirds (males and females)--all very noisy.
Common Grackle     2
Brown-headed Cowbird     1
American Goldfinch     5