Hector Galbraith also wrote up a nice summary of Black Vulture records
in Vermont through 2007.  You can see his work on the VT Bird Records
Committee website:
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/images/BLVU_IN_VT.pdf

Since 2007, the species has become sufficiently "common" that the
committee is no longer soliciting rare species documentation forms.
Also, you can go to eBird and get a summary of the more recent records.

Allan

Gregory Askew wrote:
> In speculating on what contributed to the northward expansion of Black
> Vultures, I wondered if the creation of the interstate highway system
> during the 1950s and 60s, with its resultant increase in road kills of
> large animals might have played a significant role. So I browsed the
> internet for research...Some of the sources reference different
> decades in which the expansion began, which makes my hypothesis more
> tenuous. However, this abstract from JSTOR sets the time about right
> for the construction of such major interstate highways as I-95...a
> relative straight-shot from Florida and Georgia, the historic
> northerly range of Black Vultures, to New England. The article also
> draws a correlation between the vulture's expansion and an increase in
> White-Tailed Deer population in the east.
> http://www.jstor.org/pss/3858362
> Interesting stuff...and, as usual, it all leads back to changes we have wrought.
> Here are some of the other webpages I found:
> http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi?muhonors1145900648
> http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:VnnSRGF-56QJ:hawkmountain.org/media/blackvulCSR_June07.pdf+expansion+of+Black+vulture&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh5zOqRbiCAiT55TIIaAs7TupehphIZfBn2U6NiHXqs9Z0PK3I2m57S82z8kZ_GWGpHmvRGbc4IbwT8KNP5fd8UMMs6vtiDFQ2mu8Qh1_pv8-BcKevxcfPR-Gq8cD80dYIT_DBI&sig=AHIEtbTE6ChWiW3nYjhvfDyp5BC4NksM1w
> http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:n7AUwsXuYf8J:ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/6131/1/IND43973338.pdf+expansion+of+Black+vulture&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgDqOE4O_TB7YdePjoLGVkd_PgZ4E5TQe1bDse3cZ2ZmFTV5-vYu6Fw6Eh5TnkP0VmIX3LPKZUSZlY2wx6rTbqYJaTd5KNm3morjRd9zTXhsQF7sXveKJrJv40FyUT1EWlx8xmn&sig=AHIEtbTfL9EW1emM5WYrGpOz7fqUMPPtrA
>
> Greg
> Vergennes

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910