Hi, Kay--

Did anybody answer your question?

Most of our birds got named originally back in the days before
binoculars, when people had to shoot them (delicately called
"collecting") and then examine them in the hand.  So things that
were obvious distinguishing marks close up tended to determine
the names, even though you can't see them at all from a little
distance.  Without optics, you couldn't see much of anything from
a little distance on smaller birds.  Another notorious example is
the Ring-Necked Duck, whose neck ring is only visible when it's
doing its energetic courtship display, but a dead bird in the
hand would have its head and neck flopping down, so the ring
would be very obvious.

Anyway, with the sapsucker, so many woodpeckers have various
combinations of black and white and red that I'm sure the little
bit of yellow feathering deep in the belly feathers was what
stood out as a distinguishing mark to those early folks.
Red-Bellied Woodpecker is the same, btw.  The red is deep
underneath the belly feathers and you only see it when the bird
is flying towards you to land on a branch or a feeder against a
stiff gust of wind that blows the light buffy outer feathers aside.

I love sapsuckers, but living out among farm fields, the closest
I get to them is the neat little rows of holes I find drilled in
some of my firewood!

Jane
Shoreham