Hi Ruth,

If you know with certainty that the bird you saw represented a
particular subspecies, eBird allows you to enter that "form".  So, if
you knew that your flicker was "yellow-shafted", then you could enter
that in eBird.  But, if you heard a flicker calling and couldn't say for
sure what subspecies it was, then Northern Flicker would be the choice.
Obviously in VT where we (typically) only have one subspecies of
flicker, you could enter "yellow-shafted" every time and no one would
know the difference.  However, if we are interested in documenting the
distribution of particular subspecies...case in point, the "Common Teal"
(currently Green-winged Teal subspecies) in the Connecticut R. Valley,
this information becomes valuable.  Bottom line...if you are certain,
enter subspecies.  If unsure, enter the more general species name.

Allan

Ruth Stewart wrote:
> Kent, perhaps you can answer this question which is one several of us are asking..
>

> On the VTebird species list, do we check
>

> Dark eyed Junco   OR   Slate-colored Junco
>

> Northern Flicker   OR  Yellow-shafted Flicker??
>

> Thanks
>
> ruth stewart
>
> e dorset

> The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail.

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910