Hi Kay,

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same species, the
"current" common name of the species is Wilson's Snipe.  It was formerly
called Wilson's Snipe, had its name changed to Common Snipe, and now is
back to Wilson's Snipe (trying to match common names with those in
Europe).

Anyway, it is a relatively common bird in Vermont, primarily found in
wet fields and grassy wetlands.  At least a couple pairs nest in the
fields on the north side of Shelburne Pond.  It has a unique flight
display, flying in circles high overhead, making a unique "winnowing"
sound by air flowing through its outer tail feathers.  It is much easier
to see at dawn and dusk.

Allan

Kay Johnson wrote:
> Is the Common Snipe common in Vermont? Are others seeing them? I never have seen one here or elsewhere.  Maybe I need to be trying to get this one onto my life list.  Kay Johnson, Hinesburg

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910