Driving by Echo Lake today I stopped to watch a common loon preening, FOY
for me. This morning while looking out the kitchen window I noticed about a
dozen small feathers drifting down out of the sky and wondered what had just
happened and how high up it was because all the birds at the feeders never
spooked. Just a guess, but I figured that the local sharpy had just grabbed a
nice fat morning dove for breakfast.

Yardbirds today:

Great Blue Heron   1
Purple Finch   4 pr
White-throated Sparrow  2
Goldfinch   27+
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  2
Robin 1
Red-tailed Hawk   1
Tufted Titmouse   3
Dowy Woodpecker   1
Cardinal   1 pr
Grackle   2
RW Blackbird   2
Barred Owl   1 heard calling from tree outback this morning and 2 responses, 1
from down the lake and the other from across the road
Raven   1
White Breasted Nuthatch   2
Chickadee   8
Dark-eyed Junco (slate color)   7 still around
O’ and I shouldn’t forget the hawk food started this winter season with 9
Morning Doves, down to 3 at last count
Common Merganser   4    3m  1f lots of courtship displaying by males
Mallard   2

Otter   2    saw 1 heading north yesterday and 2 heading south this morning,
staying very close together. Maybe heading back to the river to mate and
raise some pups

Good Birding

Peter Manship
Lake Pauline