Thanks Scott,   So if I am reading this correctly, there really is no such bird as a Northern Flicker.  The term serves as an 'umbrella' for the yellow (E) and red shafted (W).   So I guess if one were in an area where these species overlap, and a flicker is only heard, then N. Flicker would come into play.

So for the VTebird checklist we should be using Yellow-shafted Flicker and Slate-colored Junco.

Hope that helps everyone including me and I, sort of?? have it right!

Ruth Stewart
e dorset