On the way home from Ken Copenhaven's great walk at Mississquoi yesterday, I was driving along the Mad River heading south on 100b in Moretown.  Between the Ward Swimming Hole and hydro dam (about 2 miles south of Rt 2), something big and white on the far side of the river caught my eye.  At 55 mph, I thought, "Snowy owl???  Can't be." and hit the brakes.  The bird was sitting in a tree about 400-500 yards away.  Through my binoculars, I could clearly see that it was a hawk.  It was all white other than some darker coloration on the wing tips.  I grabbed my camera and started shooting.  The bird took off and moved further down the river.  I followed it and got more looks.  It flew again -- crossed the river and disappeared over the hill heading west.
None of my photos are very good.  I don't have a very long lens and the bird was a long ways off.  I blew them up as best I could.  You can see them at:http://gallery.me.com/beacon1#100016  (scroll past the pics of tree swallows)
Perhaps it was a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk??  There was one reported along the Winooski in our area last winter.
Thoughts?
Scott Sainsbury
Moretown