John,  What you probably witnessed was a shock reaction.  I have seen it frequently in chickadees.  The rapid cycling of the nictitating membrane is a common indication of shock.  For some reason (Can someone explain?) allowing the bird to rest on its back seems the best way to bring it out of shock.  Bruce Peterson, Middlebury