Took advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday and went for a long
birding ride. Best bird of the day a late Rough-leg hawk hover hunting in the
fields just south of the Richville road on 22a in Shoreham. Later in the day at
Basin Harbor ( bay? don't know the correct name) had 34 TV's circling as if
looking for there evening roost. We didn't stick around to trying and locate
it ,  instead racing to get to a good location for the sunset. Here is the list of
birds and mammals for the day:

Rough-leg Hawk  1  dark morph
Redtailed Hawk  5  one juv RT being moved by 4 Ravens
Ospry   12 scattered all over the dead Creek area ,watched pr south of
Chimney
point bridge nest building and copulating
Northern Harrier  1 male(Gray Ghost )
TV's 43
Kestrel  3
Raven  7
A. Crow  12
Cardinal  5
Great Blue Heron  5   a pr seen flying north over lake Champlain
Bufflehead  15  from Ft Cassin rd
Bald Eagle  2  1 adult 1 juv  Ft Cassin
Tree Swallows
Mallards
Hooded Mergansers
Wood Ducks
Canada Geese     several nesting
Kingfisher
Common Mergansers
Redwing Black birds    saw a large flock (about 150) flying over a field on
Lapham Bay road,a  beautiful sight when all the birds turned and flashed their
red wing patches !
Wild Turkeys many ,  one group of 27
Whitebreasted Nuthatch  6  all on territory calling, very noisy
Hairy, Downy and Pileated woodpeckers
Robins
Grackles
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Tufted Titmouse  3
Tree Swallows many
Song Sparrows
Chipping Sparrow 2
Chickadees
Blue Jays and Ring billed Gulls

Also had a Red Fox  walk pasted just as it was getting dark at Basin Harbor.
Found a field with 10 deer in it. Saw 46 plus Painted Turtles at Braelya ( Dead
Creek) Gartar snakes way to many for my comfort !!! Lots of Muskrats and at
Ft Cassin had a young muskrat come right up to me crying as if look for its
parents . Will post some images from trip later today at BFO's

Good Birding
Peter Manship
Ludlow Vt