I'm currently a student and I do 24 hours a week of clinical/probe time. My program requires about 1100 clocked clinical hours. I hope this helps!

Jessica Houtkooper
Sent from my iPhone

On May 26, 2010, at 11:10 AM, "Combs, Kristin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello All!
I am working with a sonographer who has had a year  of tough experience in a vascular lab. Training time has been sporadic.  How many hours of actual supervised (in the room) scanning do students normally get in an accred. US program?  How independent should an individual be after a solid year of 40 hrs a week of probe time and much instruction?  How long does it take to get really trustworthy in results?  Its been so long, I cant remember.........

________________________________

From: UVM Flownet on behalf of Cynthia Shillingsburg
Sent: Wed 5/26/2010 7:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RVT

well said, but I really don't think the "test" will be intimidating...it is as JP said supportive of our credential.

cindy

Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:56:53 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

I was cruising through the Flownet to investigate rumors for ARDMS
recertification requirements and read a few posts about RVTs lack of
recognition and a potential perception of something less than a sonographer.
I have been both; from babies, to biliary, to breasts, to bilateral upper
and lower extremity; I have scanned much of whatever ultrasound renders
itself useful. I hold ARDMS credentials in vascular and abdomen. I take
the greatest pride in my role as an RVT.

I hold my RVT credential as one of my most valuable acquisitions over the
course of my life and I know what it took to get there. And I know I had
support and encouragement along the way for which I am ever grateful (Dr.
Schneider). I really don't care what anyone calls me, as long as I am
sought with confidence by the physician who recognizes my skills and wants
me to look at his/her patient and tell them what I see. Really, is there
any better way to convey acknowledgment than that?

And if there is a lack of appreciation, I feel that the general unawareness
of our careers leaves us in good company; the Physician Assistants. At
least the unaware public believes that I have some technical ability; while
many believe that a PA is less than a nurse. A patient a few weeks ago was
left with the impression that a PA is like an administrative assistant for
the doctors. They help to keep them organized and mop up their messes.

And I am against the recertification, just for the record. Sorry, Joe. But
I hate tests, especially when it contains the word: physics.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may
contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the
dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named
recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete
this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.
Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any
attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.