I am sure they are looking at it from a cover my A$$ perspective.
All they need is 1 patient to die from a pulmonary embolus from a
undiagnosed DVT and have the family sue for a Multi Million Dollar verdict
How many Venous exams would need to be ordered to cover that expense???

That is why a Hospital charges $3000 for a study and  Medicare pays $300
That is medicine in 2010

             Phil White
             <pwhite@INRECTIME
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: UVM              [log in to unmask]
             Flownet                                                    cc
             UVM.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Fraudulent Claims

             05/27/2010 04:27
             PM

             Please respond to
                UVM Flownet
                 UVM.EDU>

Dear FLO-

Can anyone help me with specific rules regarding the responsibility of a
vascular technologist to make sure inappropriate exams are not billed to
Medicare or other insurers?

Specifically, the ED department has stated and that they will order a
Venous
study on everyone who comes to the ED with a leg or toe complaint, so they
do not miss a DVT.  This has been in effect for quite some time and the
increase in venous studies have doubled.  We have all experienced how
frustrating it is to be called in for silly stuff but now it kick up to a
new level.

I feel this is entering into the bizarre world and there is no end to it
except to explain to them this is fraudulent.

Thanks

Phil White BS RVT