These agencies are involved in "policing" certifying bodies and they have
standards and rules that must be followed. Orgs such as SDMS and SVU have
had many occasions to have to refer to the status of ARDMS as being a NCCA
member and I am sure this is also part of the defense of the CARE bill.

The National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) was created in 1987
by ICE to help ensure the health, welfare, and safety of the public through
the accreditation of a variety of certification programs/organizations that
assess professional competence. Certification programs that receive NCCA
Accreditation demonstrate compliance with the NCCA's Standards for the
Accreditation of Certification Programs, which were the first standards for
professional certification programs developed by the industry.

NCCA uses a peer review process to: establish accreditation standards;
evaluate compliance with the standards; recognize organizations/programs
which demonstrate compliance; and serve as a resource on quality
certification. Certification organizations that submit their programs for
accreditation are evaluated based on the process and products, not the
content, and are therefore applicable to all professions and industries.

NCCA accredited programs certify individuals in a wide range of professions
and occupations including nurses, automotive professionals, respiratory
therapists, counselors, emergency technicians, crane operators and more. To
date, NCCA has accredited over 200 programs from more than 100
organizations.

Also the following may be of help

http://www.credentialingexcellence.org/portals/0/benefits.pdf

and www.noca.org