I personally prefer the "sonographer" designation.  Most employers have a difficult time equating RVTs to Cardiac and General sonographers when it comes to evaluating pay scales.
Most of us have had to fight this internal equity battle within our own HR depts.
One open book, free test, per every 10 yrs, in you own home should be no big deal!
Seems to be this a government control issue with the accrediting body for the ARDMS; they are just trying to be in compliance.  It is all about documentation!
Connie McCoy, RVT