TJ. Reminds me of an angio I saw on a guy who would have lost his legs if he had a hemorrhoidectomy.
~S

From: Terry Zwakenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:34:17 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: ICA steal from CCA to Subclavian bypass graft

Jason,

stroke volume is calculated by the following  csa*vti.  where csa = crosectional area of the vessel,  vti = velocity time integral.

as i was saying it will give you the total flow in the carotid and the total flow in the graft simple math will tell you how much is left over to go to the brain.  this does not compensate for collateral, circle of willis, or any additional vertebral contribution to the cerebral circulation.  thats why the "steal" is a clinical diagnosis.

I had a patient once that had a cca to subclavian graft, an axillary to fem graft, a fem to fem graft and bilateral fem tib grafts.  his entire bilateral lower extremity circulation was fed by one common carotid.  he did not walk far before becoming syncopal.

...TJ

To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart.