[log in to unmask]"> TO ABI OR NOT TO ABI... It is our policy as well to not perform segmental pressures in the presence of acute DVT. An arterial duplex provides sufficient information and why take the risk to just perform an ABI? If you were the patient would you be willing to risk a PE for a simple ABI?

Jill Bearse, RVT

From: "Pizzo, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:51:21 -0600
Subject: Re: TO ABI OR NOT TO ABI...

All,

It is our lab’s policy never to perform an ABI on a patient that has a positive DVT.   Some of you “old timers’ may remember that we used 40 mmHg pressure in order to compress the veins for outflow studies. In performing arterial pressures you exceed this pressures three fold. This would obviously induce changes which could in fact result in an emboli moving cephalad. Why would you bother when you can do an arterial duplex to obtain your answer along with a toe pressure.

Barbara Pizzo, BS. RVT

Manager, PVL, EEG and Cardiology Services

St. Joseph Medical Center

Reading, PA 19605

610 378 2802