Bruce
 If every state had licensure, I would agree with you. But they don't nor will they. Accreditation doesn't even mean every tech has to be registered. The wages will not go up, nor will quality. I can name 3 people I went to school with that are incredibly book smart and can pass any test..... I wouldn't let them scan my trash!
 On the other hard, I have worked with techs that are very knowledgeable and awesome at hands on... ask them to take a test..... they can't do it. I wish it were a guarantee of these things, but alas no.... so it really doesn't seem to make any sense

From: Bruce Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, May 20, 2010 12:35:19 AM
Subject: Re: recertification

Although no one looks forward to retaking exams, licensing and recertification are methods to not only see if we are maintaining standards, but also a way of restricting the market. When the supply of sonographers is scarce, the price(wages) of paying them will go up.

When employers have a difficult time filling positions, those “competitive” wages will increase to attract only those that are licensed. Currently some markets are saturated with sonographers due to the influx of ultrasound training schools. There are no jobs available locally for these new grads, nor are there any openings for seasoned sonographers. Making it more difficult to acquire or retain the fewer skilled workers(licensed) is what will drive wages up.

Personally, I wish it were effective immediately, as I would gladly accept a boost in income.

NOTICE:The information contained in this electronic mail message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail communication in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email. Thank you.