These agencies are involved in “policing” certifying bodies and they have standards and rules that must be followed. Orgs such as SDMS and SVU have had many occasions to have to refer to the status of ARDMS as being a NCCA member and I am sure this is also part of the defense of the CARE bill.

The National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) was created in 1987 by ICE to help ensure the health, welfare, and safety of the public through the accreditation of a variety of certification programs/organizations that assess professional competence. Certification programs that receive NCCA Accreditation demonstrate compliance with the NCCA’s Standards for the Accreditation of Certification Programs, which were the first standards for professional certification programs developed by the industry.

NCCA uses a peer review process to: establish accreditation standards; evaluate compliance with the standards; recognize organizations/programs which demonstrate compliance; and serve as a resource on quality certification. Certification organizations that submit their programs for accreditation are evaluated based on the process and products, not the content, and are therefore applicable to all professions and industries.

NCCA accredited programs certify individuals in a wide range of professions and occupations including nurses, automotive professionals, respiratory therapists, counselors, emergency technicians, crane operators and more. To date, NCCA has accredited over 200 programs from more than 100 organizations.

Also the following may be of help

http://www.credentialingexcellence.org/portals/0/benefits.pdf

and www.noca.org

Hope this helps