Way to go JP! You are so right.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, May 21, 2010 9:11 am
Subject: Re: recertification

Hello Lisa, et al:
I have not read all of the e-mails in this thread, so I'm sorry if someone
lready explained this.
Each of the credentialing bodies in U/S - ARDMS, CCI, ARRT - are accredited by a
articular body to prove that their tests and credentials are valid and reflect
he body of work currently performed in the field. The ARDMS and ARRT are
ccredited via the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) for all of
heir exams, with a few exceptions on ARRT exams. A few years ago, the ARDMS
ecided that they wanted to have an international presence and pursued
ccreditation through the International Standards Organization-American National
tandards Institute (ISO-ANSI). About two years ago, CCI did the same. This has
een public knowledge for quite some time.
A few years ago, the ARDMS put out a questionnaire about re-certification and
athered representatives from all of the ultrasound organizations, including
VU. They gathered the groups to discuss HOW, not IF, recertification was to be
arried out. They could have done many things, including retaking the exams and
harging for them, however, they developed this delivery method.
Essentially, ARDMS like many medical profession credentialing bodies, are
equired, under the rules of THEIR accreditation, to assure that those with
heir credential are recertified. You can look up the numerous professions that
equire recertification. CME does not assure that someone absorbed material, or
ven attended a seminar for that matter. Having been involved on the SVU-CME
ommittee and attended numerous CME policy meetings, there are numerous methods
o get CME but it is difficult to police the process for accuracy of information
resented or to assure that CME was obtained for the intended reason- education.
ut that's a different subject.
Licensure was mentioned in the thread too. Licensure in NM and OR, the first two
tates to require it, require the tech to have a credential and pay an annual
ew. BTW, who mentioned it's just another way for for someone to make money?
I have read so many threads on Flownet about how we should be recognized as
rofessional, and no one gives us respect, and we should be able read studies
urselves, and Blah Blah Blah. An organization who is arguably recognized as THE
ltrasound credentialing body, is required to recertify its constituents, puts
ogether a fairly innocuous plan that won't go into effect for quite awhile, and
e complain.
But that's OK because that's what the Flownet is for - a forum to exchange
deas, good or bad, right or wrong.
JPH